Monday, March 20, 2006

A good day (finally!)

K,
so most of the day was boring. I did some tool inventory stuff, did a sudoku (I'm getting way too fast at them), and finished my indian book (feathers, not dots.)
But, tonight I had an incredible experience. I went to the hospital to visit the wounded.
The first guy I visited with was an Army special forces Ranger. He got hit by an IED about 3 miles off the base. Busted up his leg pretty good. They wanted to send him home or to Germany. He told them no, he'll wait in Quatar until his Unit ships out. He was way cool - I gave him some girl scout cookies someone had and some hot cocoa.
After that we went and visited some Iraqis. There were 2 little kids who were sleeping, but some men that were awake. Through a translator we talked with them. One had busted his leg and didn't seem too willing to talk - though I got a smile out of him when I pointed at a picture of a woman and a child behind him and asked if it was his wife.
The other man was a Baghdad Police Officer. He had taken a pretty wicked blast to the head from an IED in Baghdad. They had to staple his skull together (we could see the staples. 3 seperate lines of ~20 staples each.) Anyway, as the soldiers I was with lined up to shake the man's hand, I could feel the man's confidence and pride soar. It was amazing. A wonderful experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whats an IED? International Explosive Device?

Anyways so if I wear the "native american" feather hat, what would I be?

You doing a good job. Keep it up and stay safe.