Thursday, March 02, 2006

birds...

So here at Balad AFB, we burn our trash. And it's a lot of trash, all the time. There are constant flames from the trash, and hundred and hundreds of birds, flying through the flames to get at the plentiful scraps of food we throw away. Its almost mesmerizing the first time you see it - birds flying through the fire - until you realize the giant pile is all trash.
Tonight while riding my bike back to my trailer, I decided to take a shortcut, bypassing the trash in lieu of a ride past the medevac copters (blackhawks). Some crazy bird starts squawking at me and flying closer and closer to me. Big wing span too. I don't know what it was, but in the light it kinda looked white. Weird.
Anyways, the install crew is getting ready to leave. They should be gone by this Saturday. After that i forsee things getting awfully quiet. So yeah, that's it. Got squawked at by a bird, played a lot of pool, and did some work. Dirty bird.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's a saying in brazil that goes something like this "in war times, vulture is chicken" I think it means you'll eat whatever you can find. I hope it doesn't get so bad that you start eating the trash birds. Hate to have you come back with an extra finger or two.

Ken Leek said...

Yeah don't eat the trash birds. A little bit of advice don't let a trash bird poop in your mouth, you will regret it. Have fun!

Unknown said...

umm... thanks guys. i think...