Monday, February 27, 2006

The Jackals

The past few days have been kinda rough on ol' Ry. And here's why - we've had little or nothing to do at work. I've never been paid so much to do so little. That, plus the utter lack of a social life right now. I think part of the problem is that with the install team still here, there hasn't been much of a schedule. Hopefully things will get a little more defined once they take off, and I can find consistant times for working out, going to the hospital to visit Iraqi nationals, etc. I also had time to read and answer emails, but after not recieving any I realized it was the weekend and perhaps the blog wasn't being checked as much. (ryan_t_ward@hotmail.com)
Example of rough schedule: I had to wake up this morning at 3, ride my bike (which is busted - more on that in a sec), go to work and turn on our satellite link, do nothing for 7 hours, then work like a dog ripping down another dish. Finally got done about 5:15. Oh, and no breakfast or lunch.
But on a cool note, I saw a ginormous hornet and a real life scarab beetle yesterday, and this morning while riding to work I had to yell at some Jackals to quit chasing me. The busted bike? From hopping too many curbs, the handle bars have come quite loose. That's tomorrow's project.
I'm grateful for this experience, but I don't think this particular lifestyle is for me. Too lonely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been paid so much to do so little.
Ha ha.

I thought thats how most of the engineering jobs are going to turn out.

Hang in there dude. You will be back in no time.

Time flies. I have been tring to find some motivation to finish up my thesis, but it keeps draggin on.

Hmm...I always wondering can you "mountain" bike in desert! I guess curbs are all you got for your tricks and stunts?

Scarab beetle as in the ones from those "MUMMY" movies? Maybe they are directing you to some deseret treasure?
Jackals as in wolves? Hmm....thats crazy.

Keep safe.

Anonymous said...

poor lonely ryry. t-rav says "JACKALS ARE AWESOME" and he wishes he could be chased by one too. i'll ship him over and you can leave him out as food for the jackels. he's also jealous that you got to see a scarab. i'm wondering if it was a golden one in 2 pieces that you could put together to make 1 that would fly away and reveal a cave of wonders. if you find one let me know.

Anonymous said...

hey ry. dont be sad. life is much less exciting here. well besides last nights episode of 24... it was sick with it. as far as far as your brother goes... have him live at romance gardens. it was good to us man. late nights in the hot tub, late nights on the love sac, and late nights.... you remember. send him over there. well be safe bro. tara says high and says shell cook for you when you get home.
peace out

Unknown said...

well, ixoj, i suspected your identity all along, but wasn't sure until now. the jackals were pretty cool - they're kinda like little dogs. or hyenas. i dunno - it was 3:30 in the morning. but at least i finally got to try responding to comments!
nate, i remember those nights well - but how dare you tease me with 24. dirty...
yaju - yup, same kinda scarabs, just like the mummy. i kinda doubt they eat human flesh though. certainly not with the speed and ferocity shown in the mummy, or the mummy part deux...