Sunday, August 08, 2010

Things I love about Lubbock #7: Attitude

Tonight's my last "Things I love about Lubbock" post. Attitude.

So this goes to Accent, Trucks, Showing up to Walmart in chaps (with jeans underneath), and who knows what else. There's an attitude in Lubbock, and West Texas in general, of people itchin' for a fight. I think its an attitude that used to prevail throughout the West, and has been decreasing slowly as civilization creeps in.

Of course, it could be easy to miss/dismiss this attitude. If you never go to sports in Lubbock, or rodeos, or auto shops, or just hang out at the university, or at Barnes & Noble, you could miss it. But when you get out to the dirt roads, or the places where people still sit on their porches instead of watching the latest 'American Idolatry', you can sense it.

It could also be dismissed as just hick, but I think its different. I think what distinguishes this attitude from hick is a knowledge of the odds or circumstances, and just utter disregard for it.

Anyway, I think the attitude is a very American one, and I've loved being around it and reminded of it.

1 comment:

Tyler Root said...

I've really enjoyed your things you like about Lubbock.