Sunday, August 01, 2010

Things I love about Lubbock #1: Bar-B-Q

So when I was in Roanoke VA last week, I looked up restaurants to go to dinner after my first night of the test. I found a bar-b-q joint, and the review online made it sound really good. I went, got seated, and ordered up some soft brisket that had been smoked all day long.

Now, I've had lots of brisket. I like brisket. A friend a couple years ago smoked a brisket at home all day and brought it to a dinner - softest, juiciest brisket I've ever had. Delicious. This? Not so much. It wasn't bad, but I really had to work to cut it with a knife. Juicy - yes. Tender - no. Was I disappointed - absolutely.

I suppose I should have expected as much, and maybe I did. The restaurant's specialty was something I would've complained about here, though they did rescue it with a nice smattering of sauces. But the meat...

This gets to the thing I love about Lubbock - there's some great barbq here. Whether it's Tom & Bingo's Hickory Pit, 4BarK, or even just Dickies fast food barbq. I've been spoiled by delicious meat, made and served by people who actually have smoked their meat all day, or even 2 days, and know how to serve it right.
Tom & Bingo's Hickory Pit, 34th Street in Lubbock

No comments: