Monday, August 02, 2010

Things I love about Lubbock #2: Music

Prior to leaving Utah 3 years ago, I was getting tired of country music. Tim & Faith don't write their own music, and only sing a song with passion once every 5 years. Toby Keith - does he still just try and put some funny one liners together with a beat? And Kenny Chesney + Rascal Flats = a bunch of gay cowboys singing crappy music.

I get tired of music, and musicians, when they just rehash the same junk over and over again. I understand that after 10-20 years, you get in a rhythm and it's tough to find the same fire and intensity you used to have (U2). So anyway, I was getting tired of country music in particular. I had started listening to a little more Johnny Cash, and then I moved to Lubbock.

Shortly thereafter, a radio station converted to country, and my buddy Jess from church started playing a bunch of Texas country. And I love it. It's so good. Thankfully, I can stream the station over the interwebs, because when I was in DC last week I was already getting frustrated by the lack of decent music options.

Here's the radio station link: 105.3 The Red Dirt Rebel
Here's some artists I would have never heard of had I not moved to Lubbock:
Josh Abbott Band
Turnpike Troubadors
Bleu Edmonson
Brazos Stone

No comments: