Thursday, August 20, 2009

Huge DC recap

So I've driven back to Texas - it took a few days, and was a very enjoyable trip. I spent a day with my Grandmother in St. Louis, had lunch with my friends T-Rav* and Kel in Memphis, spent a day with my family in Dallas, and almost hit a crane. As in the bird, not the machine. It had a 6' wingspan, and frankly I was tempted to hit it to add to my list of weird things I've hit. I restrained myself.

I also discovered a 'shortcut' for the drive between St. Louis and DC that saved me about 45 minutes and allowed me to see the first leaves of fall. Overall it was a very nice trip back. I definitely knew I was back when I saw this huge dust devil on my way back yesterday.
Of course, it's a little bittersweet leaving D.C. - on the one hand I really enjoyed it. Work was great, I was interviewing with patent attorneys before I left, dating seemed to flow easier. On the other hand, it was time to get back to Lubbock, to my stuff, to be out of the nasty townhome I was in out there.

I'm grateful I had the opportunity to work out there and learn some stuff. I'm VERY grateful I decided to drive out there. One might be able to get around DC via public transportation, but it would be a huge pain. Having my truck I could go to church, shopping, see friends, camping, and on dates without a second thought. I got to go to the Iwo Jima memorial at night and do lots of things I wouldn't have been able to.
I've decided my favorite museum is the National Portrait Gallery. Why? It's easily accessible - right across the street from the Chinatown metro stop. It's practically empty, and holds some amazing history.

Least favorite - Native American history museum. Why? BORING and misleading. If I wanted to know what modern indian life is like, I'd drive to Shiprock. Trust me, it ain't nearly as nice as they portrayed it in the museum.

Now back to life in Lubbock.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I have been to shiprock. I don't want to live there. Glad you had fun on your DC adventures.