Sunday, August 09, 2009

Assateague Island

So this weekend I went out to Assateague Island, out on the Atlantic Ocean. It was pretty sweet. We arrived late Friday night, camped out and had a small campfire on the beach, then Saturday we just enjoyed the beach. Now I'm nice and sunburnt.

There are wild horses on the island, left over from when a Spanish Galleon shipwrecked back in the 1600's. A small herd of them were next to our beach campfire Friday night, and some of them were pretty dang big. Also saw a fox in the moonlight, a sea turtle, a pod of dolphins, and a billion 'skeeters.

During my time out here in DC I've been trying to get to know the city and see all the sites, making my outdoor adventures rare, so I really enjoyed the chance to get out and do something different. It was exactly 3 hours away from my place, and the weather was beautiful, so it made for a great getaway.

Tomorrow's my last day at my internship, then Tuesday I go in for training at my new job. I'll probably stick around a few days after that, but my thinking right now is that I'll head back on Saturday.

No comments: