Sunday, August 02, 2009

Chicago

So I went to Chicago on Thursday and came back on Friday - it was a quick trip. But just like my trip last year, the weather was perfect. It was ~75-80 degrees, a slight breeze, and super pleasant.

Rather than renting a car and trying to find an elusive parking spot in Chicago, or paying $40 for parking, I just took the EL in from O'hare - worked great. Got to my hotel late, but they gave me some warm cookies, and I figured that despite my cookie fast I deserved them.

Woke up on Friday and explored Chicago a little before going to the career fair - I checked out Navy Pier, then went to the John Hancock building and went up to the observatory. It was pretty sweet, with amazing views of the city like this one.
Found a sweet place to eat - Billy Goat Tavern. If you're wandering around downtown Chicago I highly recommend this place. Very good burger.
Went to the career fair, went back to the airport, sustained a flight replete with crying babies, and made it back.

So while I haven't experienced Chicago during the winter, and I'm sure that they have plenty of days in the summer that are hot and humid, I think downtown Chicago is actually the nicest big city I've been to. Wide streets, clean (compared to New York), usually a nice breeze blowing through. I don't know how the suburbs compare, but downtown Chicago in the summer is a sweet place to be.

No comments: