Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Atlas Shrugged


So all the junk going on with the markets the past few days/weeks got me thinking (in between massive study sessions for the Patent Bar, which I take again on Friday) about Atlas Shrugged.

The book is massive (1000 pages), but I very much encourage people to read it. The reason I bring it up is because I remain very much anti-entitlement. The debate tonight - I tuned in for about 30 seconds and they were talking about entitlements.

I don't think people, and in particular, most Americans, should be entitled to much at all. Veterans, yes. Other then them... I'm sure there are some that skip my mind at the moment, but very few people deserve something from the rest of us. And it ticks me off that the government is bailing out Wall Street, and just today bailed out a bunch of private companies...

Anyway, back to the book. In the book, people continue to say that they are entitled to stuff, and deserve this, and they deserve that. Countries, states, companies, need subsidies to continue operating. Kinda like California right now.

Believe it or not, I've softened in law school - I can actually see the value in some social programs. I think everyone deserves a chance at making a life for themselves. Hopefully this money problem will be abated and we can have some breathing room for 10-20 years. Eventually, I predict the truckers going on strike, and suddenly nobody has food, oil, coal (for 80% of all powerplants), or medicine.

How about this for an entitlement: "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

Seriously: Read this book.

p.s. Ayn Rand was kinda crazy on some stuff, so don't take this as an absolutism on her.
p.p.s. There's a crazy 100 page oratory late in the book I recommend skimming.

6 comments:

Alene said...

only cheaters skip the speech at the end : ) Seriously though, if I can ever get Tyler to read it, I'll let him skip it. What a good book. and I agree with all the entitlement crap, but since having a baby and no maternity leave at all, I definitely think that should be required of all companies.

ixoj said...

Why are veterans entitled to so much more? After all, the large majority of them VOLUNTEERED their service and were paid for it at the time they were in the military. They knew what they were getting themselves into (or they should have).

Unknown said...

Well... that's true. Specifically, I was referring to those who retire in the military after 20 - they get a pension/retirement pay, which can be taken as coming from their relatively low pay, plus access to military hospitals-if they pay a premium, is my understanding.

But I think those permanently injured should definitely receive lifelong medical care.

Justin said...

This is one of the greatest books of all time. Who is John Galt?

Physcokity said...

I loved this book! I did pretty well getting through it until the oratory portion. That took me a month to finish reading, but the more things are progressing with the elections and the way things are going economically, the more I seriously consider finding my own "valley."

Anonymous said...

it's always charming how often lawyers love atlas shrugged