Friday, April 24, 2009

What I really meant to say

So I just re-read my last post. I think what I was really trying to say didn't come out... so I'll try again.

There are lots of different ways of staying in shape, and they all can work great. Yoga, Pilates, Martial Arts, Weights, Running, Hiking, Swimming, Tennis, Basketball, Gymnastics, and the list goes on and on. Some people like certain things more than others - I really don't enjoy playing basketball much, so I do other stuff.

But I had someone tell me the other day that they were going running and that they hated it, so I suggested they do something else. They asked what, and I suggested pullups, to which they responded "I don't want to get big." One doesn't have to lift weights to exercise, and if you don't like it one shouldn't do it. But I think everyone should try hard at everything they do in life, and to the extent possible they should enjoy it.

So if you don't want to go running, there are other ways of exercising. Go swimming. Go dig a hole in the dirt. Go for a walk. But don't feed me crappy excuses about why you don't exercise hard when you have some mental block prohibiting you from finding some form of exercise you could enjoy. I'll just give you same look I give to people with 30 items in the express check-out line (and it's not pity).

No comments: