Thursday, March 19, 2009

Carlsbad Caverns

My spring break has been a little different this year (ranching, lounging by the pool, and studying?), but my parents came into town and we went with my sister & her family to Carlsbad Caverns yesterday. I'd never been, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

First of all, where is Carlsbad?
It's down towards El Paso, about 3 hours from Lubbock. Pretty close by Texas standards.
The caves themselves were most impressive - absolutely huge. Pictures don't do it justice - the immensity of the caverns dilutes the ability of the camera to capture it. Here some anyway:

The most impressive thing about the caves was how huge they were - this is definitely something everyone should check out - you know, the next time you're in southeastern New Mexico.

The only things I'd recommend to do differently than we did would be to eat before going or bring food with you (though you can only eat in a specified part of the cave). Also, if I ever go back I think it'd be fun to take a Ranger-guided tour and see some more isolated parts of the cave.

Of course the best part of the trip was spending time with my family - here's a shot of me and my dad just before going into the cave.

1 comment:

jimwraith said...

If I come visit you in Texas, we're going to this place...