Saturday, December 13, 2008

Turnin' 30

So to celebrate my 30th birthday, I decided to go on a little road trip - to Roswell, N.M. - and see if I could find any aliens, and just to see what there is to see in Roswell.

The journey to Roswell
The trip to Roswell was pretty smooth, other than gale force winds blowing me around. This part of the country (including Lubbock) was once known as the Llano Estacado, or The Staked Plains, for the long blades of grass that grow naturally. This is what we fought the Comanche and the Kiowa for control over (that, and the fact that they wouldn't stop raiding our settlements). So I thought seeing this country was interesting - and bleak.

There was also the Goodnight-Loving Trail. I took a picture, and let you ponder why I thought 'Goodnight-loving' deserved a picture.

Roswell

When you think Roswell, you're probably like me: Good dairy.
Roswell itself was somewhat disappointing. I was hoping for way more alien stuff in the town - but really, that was just a few buildings scattered around downtown. I was expecting it to be bigger. It made Lubbock look like a huge metropolis. I actually drove around most of the town - hopefully I was missing something - like nice neighborhoods - on the outskirts.

Aliens

In truth, I wasn't sure what to expect when I got to Roswell, and wasn't sure how to go about 'seeing the sights.' Luckily, there was the UFO museum right on main street.

All the other stores looked pretty hokey dokey, so I thought I'd check this one out. Inside was a whole ton of stuff about the Roswell conspiracy in 1947, and basically continuing until the present day. I really didn't find anything convincing in the slightest, but there was a wack-job inside, also touring, who I could tell was a serious believer, so I kept my mouth shut. Of the museum my favorite two things were these:















So it's been a good birthday. I'm a little wary about 30 - that's all I have to say about that. Here's a pic of me turning 30.

3 comments:

e said...

For years, scientists have been trying to capture the exact moment when the transition from the 20's to the 30's occurs. Congrats on capturing that.

And thanks for giving the rest the gift of the Goodnight-Loving trail on your birthday. You are truly unselfish.

(And Happy Birthday) :-)

Tyler Root said...

I don't know about the Hockey hat on your head, but other than that, you're looking good for 30 dude.

Happy BD!

jimwraith said...

Awesome F**kin' Shirt, Bro...