Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Stories

So I was reflecting upon a question a friend asked some time ago, "Do you like to read?" Pretty standard question, and of course the answer was "Yes, though I find it difficult to do with law school, because after reading all day long the last thing I usually want to do is come home and read more."

But I'm going to try and find more time for it. I think I can find 20 or 30 minutes a few times a week to not watch TV and simply relax with a good book.

Even more than simply reading, I just love good stories. Movies, books, songs, word-of-mouth, even video games. The medium doesn't really matter. The tone can be sappy or technical, the story straightforward or convoluted. As long as its good and I don't finish feeling like I just wasted my time - though sometimes that wasted time itself makes for a good story...

3 comments:

e said...

You bring up an interesting point that I dealt with last year during my first year of grad school. Like you, the last thing I ever wanted to do was read since all I did all day everyday was read. I was convinced I wouldn't read a book for leisure for like five years. Someone in my MPA program suggested that I start reading leisurely at least a few times a week and see how it went. I started doing that and found that not only did I find it enjoyable to read again, but it also makes the school reading more bearable. Anyway, you should try it out.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of stories...remember that time with the hot pots, the horse and my truck?

Unknown said...

I do - that's an excellent story.

http://ryantward.blogspot.com/2006/11/bad-horse.html

One of my other favorite stories involves several dozen brumbies and some trucks going along the frozen tundra.