Friday, November 14, 2008

Following the Prophets

So there's been all sorts of crazy reactions in California to the Prop. 8 vote, which passed, thereby defining marriage to be between a woman and a man only, i.e., no homosexual marriages. People, who claim to want tolerance, are rioting & complaining because they lost the election. My buddy Tyler wrote an excellent post on his blog about Prop. 8.

But what I want to point out is this: That those Latter-day Saints (Mormons) who disagree with Prop. 8 need to get their head checked. Or maybe their faith checked. Because they are directly disagreeing with the church's stance on what marriage is.

Here some quick points...
  1. The Prophets have declared marriage between Man & Woman essential to God's plan.
  2. The Church pressed for the passage of Prop. 8.
  3. Members of the Church, prior to being able to enter temples, are asked the question "Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?" Guess what? Gay marriage is against church teachings. If you are LDS and think it should be otherwise, go tell your bishop you disagree with church policy and give him your temple recommend.
  4. As was pointed out to me earlier today, this has all been discussed before. Elder Maxwell, in 1978, gave this devotional at BYU. Read & Re-read Paragraphs 3-6
Now, some people might call me a bigot or whatnot after this. That's actually not true at all. I don't really see any problem with equality regardless of sexuality, but I propose that it can be done in a common law fashion, just as if a hetero-sexual couple doesn't marry, yet can qualify for marital benefits.

Regardless of that, this post was pretty much just directed to those LDS who think they can respectfully disagree on this topic. So sorry, you can't.

3 comments:

e said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Texas really isn't seeing too much problem with it... But I have heard some noise from LDS in other states.

Of course, feel free to hyperlink me in anytime!

The Shavers said...

I miss your scent, and in an only slightly common-law gay way. It is a little troubling being here in the thick of it. I for the first time since my mish have had to take a stand against something that I'd say most of my colleagues respectfully disagree with. However, the most I've had to endure is having a little vasoline smeared on my car as a result of the yes on 8 bumper sticker. I really admire the members of the church here in CA who have stood for morality against very intimidating situations. I pray that the proposition holds. Thanks for your comments, Ry.