Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Why we're broke

I don't usually have time to watch the Daily Show much lately. And by lately, I mean the past 3 or 4 years. But I still really enjoy it sometimes so I turned it on last night and Ted Koppel was on, talking about China.

I thought the comments a nice mix addressing multiple reasons for current and forthcoming economic problems in America. As far as Koppel goes, I think he screwed up by letting his opinions get in the way of his reporting, and paid a price - which is unfortunate.



The only thing I feel needs to be recognized is that Koppel and Stewart talk a little about the cost of the war, but make no mention of how much we spend on Social Security, Medicare, or U.S. Foreign Aid programs, all of which I'd be fine cutting out to pay for the war (not that I think they're totally bad, I just don't think government has any mandate to be involved in them. but that's another subject.)

5 comments:

ixoj said...

Inform me- how did Ted Koppel let his opinions get in the way of reporting and consequently pay a price?

You truly think that we should cut all those things to pay for the war?! Really?

Unknown said...

Good call Kel. I thought he had stepped down for being too opinionated - you inspired me to research it a little more and it looks like I was wrong, he just stepped down because ratings stunk.

As far as cutting those things out, I don't necessarily think we should cut them out to pay for the war. I just think we should cut them out and let individuals manage their own money, and give to foreign aid on their own, instead of the government dictating how its done.

Physcokity said...

Cute Dog.

If we cut out foreign aid maybe we wouldn't have to borrow from other countries...seems a little ironic.

Anonymous said...

I feel kind of bad for the guy. He was a nationally known TV guy with a following and now he's bringing a dumb dog on to try and guilt you into watching his show and he has to beg people to help him. Did you think he seemed a little out of his element with someone who knows how to smile/be funny?

Unknown said...

I think so... and I kinda think Jon Stewart gets a kick out of doing that to people.