Saturday, July 05, 2008

Josephine, TX

So I continue to study for the Patent Bar. I take it the 19th, and basically it's making my life miserable. So in one of these miserable moods I decided it was high time to highlight another Texas town: Josephine. I figure any town named for some dude's daughter has to be alright in my book.

To start off the journey, since I wasn't in a real great mood, I decided I'd do better if I had my usual drink of choice. (By the way, if anyone from Sobe wants to sponsor me, I'll gladly do ANYTHING you want. )
Sure enough, I immediately felt better. I then proceeded down a dirt road for the Josephine Cemetery. I think you can kinda tell something about a town from the way they keep their cemetery... how a community chooses to remember its dead. Anyway, so I head out to the middle of nowhere to this cemetery,
almost hit a tractor, then get to the cemetery, which pretty much looks like this:
But you know, sometimes there's reasons you feel like going someplace you've never been.
I don't know who this dude was, but maybe someday I can find out. Anyway, there's nothing like being in a cemetery in the middle of nowhere to clear your mind. Absolutely beautiful out there.
I always feel bad when I come across an infant's plot. Anyway, back to Josephine.

Josephine is a better kept town than Nevada, TX (which I highlighted 2 weeks ago), tho it's actually about a hundred less people less. The lawns are all immaculate, they have a nice city park, multiple water towers, and I happen to know that for the 4th the police department was hosting a BBQ and stuff in the city park. I saw no signs of commerce, but I get the feeling that people who move to Josephine are looking for a quiet place where everybody knows everybody, where people will work hard to take care of their homes and their land. I give Josephine a thumbs up.

No comments: