Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Suburbia

A trend I've seen lately around Dallas and Salt Lake are neighborhoods where you can live in a condo upstairs and they have shops down on the ground level. I think they look nice and trendy - a place I could see myself living in should I remain single for several more years. It'd be nice, to have shops and restaurants in walking distance. But I don't think it would make for a good place to raise a family - for all sorts of reasons.

So when I read this article it made me think about the direction America is moving with its housing. Are we going to become a country where the suburbs are dominated by crime? Will there be no place for kids to ride bikes and run amok?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the problem is that the suburbs have become unimaginatively boring. Who wants to pay $300k for a house that looks just like your neighbor's and you could spit from your porch to his if you wanted to?

Unknown said...

That's true. I also doubt the people who want to move to the revitalized urban centers are family folk. I think its a reflection of how many people don't want families anymore.