Sunday, June 22, 2008

Nevada, TX

So I'm pretty dang busy this summer - and I feel like the rest of it is already filled with obligations. This makes it tougher to find adventures and stuff going on, but an idea popped into my head to highlight some of the Texas towns I pass on my way to and from work. This week's town is Nevada, TX.

Now, you're probably saying, Nevada TX? and pronouncing it incorrectly. You see, it's pronounced Ne-VAY-da. Yup, and it's a real winner.

Here's the sign, and I think the population is maybe a little on the generous side.
Most of the town consists of doublewides or really nice 1-2 acre mini-mansions. Quite the wealth disparity. I'd guess the majority of the town works the surrounding fields doing corn or wheat. Here's a picture of the biggest store in town.
Other than that, the nicest building in town is the Baptist Church.
Nevada seems like an ok small town that's been down on its luck for years. Right now its at the edge of Metropolitan Dallas' expansion, so real estate prices are probably jumping or poised to jump significantly in the next 5 years. Maybe then they'll have more of a city park than this:

No comments: