Sunday, April 27, 2008

Al Gore

This is longer than I usually attempt to post. I apologize...

So in my wanderings amid the World Wide Web, I happened up this interview with Vint Cerf, credited with inventing the internet. One piece of wisdom he pointed out was this:

"Al Gore had seen what happened with the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act of 1956, which his father introduced as a military bill. It was very powerful. Housing went up, suburban boom happened, everybody became mobile. Al was attuned to the power of networking much more than any of his elective colleagues. His initiatives led directly to the commercialization of the Internet. So he really does deserve credit."

This of course triggered my mind into super-nerd mode... so I went to Wikipedia.

So wait, Al Gore's Dad introduced the interstate highway bill, leading to (in my mind) incredible urbanization and destruction of small town America? Wow. Now, there's a lot of benefits of the Interstate Highways as well - primarily increased trade. But still, wow...

I wonder if Al Gore realizes that the most extreme temperature variations attributed to Global Warming are in big cities? It's apparently called "Urban Heat Island Effect." Another article here. If you still don't believe the concept, just go drive out to the country one night - its cold.

Now, I loves me the environment, but (don't stone me) I don't believe in Global Warming any more than I believe in Witchcraft or the need to reclaim the Holy Land for Christianity. I think all of these are popular delusions of the masses. But I do have to wonder if Al Gore Jr. ever steps back enough to see that his father created the current political power Jr has in environmentalism by encouraging all the people to live together, heat things up, and get angry 'cause its hot...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need not believe in global warming to fear the climate crisis. Just watch Mr. Gore's update to his Oscar-winning film for free at HotAsVenus.com

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, I think all of the 'climate crisis' is a bunch of tomfoolery. While I'm sure many people, so called 'experts' such as Mr. Corbett Kroehler, are making a ton of money off climate change fear, I simply don't believe that such fear is remotely justified by scientific evidence.
Again, I loves me the environment, and I'm all for conservation, but global climate change is something far removed from human intervention. Anyone confused can research how much viable pollution humans produce compared to volcanos. Good luck selling fear Mr. Kroehler, I will have none.

Anonymous said...

Why does Al Gore only give one-way (and very expensive) lectures on human caused global warming and not participate in open debates on the subject?

jimwraith said...

Al Gore is a douche. That's some science I can put stock in.

No exaggeration, though, if exploiting people's fear will get me personally wealthy beyond reason, as it has Al Gore, then I'm buyin' into that shit. It'll be the real deal as soon as I get my MF climate money...

Anonymous said...

it's all part of the master plan