Thursday, July 09, 2009

Living in a rough(er) neighborhood

So I'm living the 2nd half of the summer here in Alexandria, VA, and umm.... I don't live in the nicest part of Alexandria. Alexandria as a whole is very nice. But I happen to live about 2 blocks from a rough part. As in, I can see a homeless shelter across the street rough part. Luckily, it's a family homeless shelter, so isn't that rough, but it's a little more ethnic than I'm used to.

On that subject, 2 quick stories:
My first night living here, a Saturday, I got back from visiting my friends Ken and Jim up in Maryland. Got back via the metro (train) at 2 AM and walked back right through the ghetto. Groups of black teens hanging out all over the place - I was scared I was going to get jumped. I walked past a black family and I heard a little kid ask what the white boy was doing out. Some girl said something I couldn't hear so I just turned around and smiled, but kept walking. It was a brisk walk, and I've since found a safer way home.

Tonight I went to the neighborhood rec. center to see about using their boxing equipment. I'm pretty sure I'm the only white person to ever walk in, from the looks I was getting. Anyway, so I introduce myself to the guy who runs the gym, and he says that it's normally $60 a month, but since I'm only here another 5 weeks I can just use it for free. Sweet.

I've experienced being a minority before - South America, Kuwait... but I never felt in danger because of my minority status until I moved here. It's scary. Having felt only a modicum of the fear minorities must have felt pre-60's, I have to respect the trials they went through to obtain equal rights.

No comments: