Friday, November 09, 2007

I've been sick

I've been pretty ill this week - which is not good since I only have 3 1/2 weeks until my first final. I've been trying to study a ton while falling asleep incessantly, and it stinks. Too much to do, too much to learn/review, and too sick to do it. Anyway...

I really enjoyed this article by Bill Simmons (The Sports Guy) on espn.com. I love that the Patriots are running up the score on teams - especially teams that suck. Part of this is because Tom Brady and Wes Welker are on my fantasy team. OK, that's a big part of it. But the other part is that I don't think there's room in sports for mediocre efforts.

And that's a big reason why I get frustrated in team sports. I don't get nearly as frustrated with the guy that just stinks as much as I do with the guy that just stands around and doesn't try. What, you can't run after the ball? Too tired? GET OFF THE FIELD THEN!

And in watching sports its often the same situation - the Patriots, like them or not - have set themselves up for a great season this year, while other organizations have not. Through the efforts of their players and the upper level management in getting players that will work, they are succeeding, and if other teams had tried as hard physically and mentally as the Pats they would succeed as well. Physically Tom Brady doesn't have anything over Vince Young or most of the other quarterbacks in the league. Once you get to that level it's about effort and decision making - areas that the Patriots management have succeeded in.

Anyway, that's my little rant on sports and stuff. So when I get feeling better I'll go run hard, box hard, and lift hard - without trying to rely on other people to do the same, because unfortunately they won't.

No comments: