Saturday, November 17, 2007

I learned something useful in school

So I’m studying at the library on a Saturday. It’s awesome. OK, not really. Anyway, so I’m doing these notecards, and I just learned something interesting I felt like passing on.

What four elements determine whether an activity is abnormally dangerous? (the more of these questions that are answered yes, the more likely it is that the activity will be found abnormally dangerous)

1.
Does the activity involve a high risk of serious harm to people/property?

2. Is there no way to perform the activity with complete safety regardless of how much care is taken?

3. Is the activity not commonly engaged in in the particular community? (E.g., blasting in a desolate area – no strict liability; in an urban area – liability).

4. Does the activity’s danger outweigh its utility to the community (a balancing test).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ry-
I like the new header on your blog. It looks like you could have your own adventure show on Discovery Channel or something. Maybe a Bear Grylls in training. I think that as long as it included things from the abnormally dangerous category it would be a great show.

Unknown said...

Thanks! That new header took awhile to do, but I think it turned out nice.
Also, I specifically thought you might find this post useful.