Sunday, November 04, 2012

Punkin' Chunkin' 2012

Saturday I went to Punkin' Chunkin', the annual contest to find out who can toss a pumpkin the furthest.  It had been on my list of things to do for awhile, and yesterday I finally got to go.

Woke up early, drove out with some friends, and had breakfast at this great diner named Jimmy's.  Then we made it to the punkin' chunkin', where we got stuck in the mud (I wasn't driving, nor were we in my T-ruck), got pulled out by some cool dudes using a bobcat, then pushed some other guy out of the mud when he was driving too close to a pond.

The contest itself was cool, but we arrived too late for the catapults and trebuchets.  Instead, we got to see the big air cannons, which can propel the pumpkins close to a mile away.  It was cool watching them fly.
The weather, however, was not particularly cooperative.  It was cold, and the wind was blowing right in our faces.  I'd guess the windchill was mid-twenties, so after about 2 hours we were done.  I got a nice pumpkin funnel cake, then we drove back.  By the time we got home I was quite beat.  All in all a pretty sweet experience, and I hope to go back.

No comments: