Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Starting a business?

So since I passed the Patent Bar last October I've been hoping I could work for Texas Tech doing patents until I graduate. The past week or so I've been thinking that I might just open up my own shop doing patents during my 3rd year of law school. I could control my own schedule, I'd get all the money, and I'd learn a lot in the process.

(Not to mention, maybe be taking the first steps to opening my own law practice... the Economy is still pretty rough...)

Because I've been thinking about doing that, last night I went to a seminar put on by the local Small Business Development Association (or something like that) here in town. The seminar was about "starting your own home based business," so I thought that'd be perfect. It was really a very nice seminar, though I didn't really learn that much new from law school - some, but not much.

What I did enjoy was being the only law-person in the room. I made clear that I couldn't give them legal advice, but I did give them some advice on how to find a lawyer, types of lawyers, free clinics at the law school, etc. People were asking me all sorts of questions - it was kinda fun!

And I am getting pretty serious about this business stuff. We'll see.

No comments: