Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Update on my decision(s)

So to update everyone on my decision: It is now between Santa Clara and Texas Tech. I was accepted to Santa Clara last Monday, and I've been wrestling with the decision ever since.

Santa Clara is in the top 10 for Intellectual Property law, the area I intend to go into. But it's Mondo expensive (which is French for muy expensive).

Texas Tech is in the middle of nowhere Texas, but it's affordable (ie no debt when I get done) and my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew live there. On the downside, I don't have any great desire to move back to Texas with any sort of permanence.

So the question is, A) Will the increased price for school pay off with increased opportunities? B) If I attend Tech, will I be able to get a job out of state?

I plan to have made my decision by this weekend.

In other news, I read a sweet article about Gen Y today. Check it out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recruiting is often regional. That isn't to say that there aren't opportunities outside of a given school's geographical area, however, the chances are that if you go to TX or CA you are likely to receive a majority of offers from those states. The numbers for large universities are something like 40-60% of offers come from the region where the school is. Just because a school is more expensive, doesn't mean enhanced recruiting. Santa Clara likely leads to a CA job which is also "Mondo" expensive. :) Unless of course that doesn't bother you. Just don't do this all for money. It's not worth it. Do it because you love it.
I read the article you highlighted and it is just sad that our generation is as egotistical as it seems to be. What a shame.

-DZ-

Anonymous said...

RyRy,
Congrats on the acceptances! That's great, I'm sure that you'll make a good decision. Just thought I'd let you know that Emma and I are going to be induced tomorrow, and we'll hopefully have a baby girl sometime soon! We're moving to SLC in a couple of weeks.
Take care,
Mike Taylor

Rebecca said...

Hey RyRy,
Well since you asked for my opinion, I will gladly offer it. I think you should come here to California and go to law school. Maybe its for selfish reasons, cause that means we might see you more. But I am rooting for California were all your dreams come true, right?

The Shavers said...

Did you erase my comment? Or did it never get put on here? I thought it was pretty funny and then it's not even here? Did my cussing offend you?

Santa Clara DARNIT!

Unknown said...

J-HO,
I would never delete one of your comments, regardless of how much cussing is involved... as long as it's funny cussing anyway. Must not have been posted...