Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Cougar Fan

I am a BYU cougar fan. For life. But, what I witnessed on Saturday at BYU's game against UNLV disgusted me.

Most of the game was great. It was a beautiful day, my buddy Trevor Perkins and I had great seats on the east side, BYU kicked trash. But during the 3rd quarter, with BYU aleady ahead by 5 touchdowns, UNLV's quarterback took a bad hit and got hurt. He was on the ground, not moving, for about 5-10 minutes. They eventually had to remove him via stretcher, but during the wait what did the fans do? The wave.

You gotta be kidding me. The fetchin' wave. Now, the Alumni section on the west side eventually stopped when they saw the hand stretcher being pulled out. Everyone else didn't stop until they drove the drivable stretcher up next to him. Like they couldn't tell something was wrong when BYU's trainer was out there for 10 minutes.

Throwing tortillas, booing, yelling at refs, and all the other stuff that BYU's admim repeatedly tries to tell us is 'unsportsman like' is part of a gameday atmosphere. But doing the wave during an injury? During a serious injury? What if he had broken his neck? What if he had snapped his back? The man becomes a parapalegic while BYUs ignorant trash fans do the fetchin' wave. Luckily, he only broke and dislocated his ankle.

I am and always will be a BYU fan. But that was jacked up.

5 comments:

jimwraith said...

I really, really, really, really don't miss BYU football. And that is one of the main reasons...

Anonymous said...

I really didn't think it was that big of a deal-the fans didn't know what was going on-they couldn't see or hear all the details of what was going on down on the field. It's too bad that he got hurt. But I'm pretty sure the fans weren't being malicious or rude.

The Shavers said...

I sure like throwing those tortillas. It was one of the only ways BYU showed any diversity. I'm just glad they don't sneek jello jigglers in there to throw.
I agree, fans shouldn't do the wave during an injury.
I've got yer back, RyRy.
Please take these stupid word verifications off. They really annoy me.

Unknown said...

J-Ho-
I'm glad you've got my back... unfortunately, if I turn off the word verification I'll start getting spam in my comments... so I can't... sorry.

provoce said...

I hated that too and thought it was SO lame. (I generally think that the wave is getting pretty old anyways)

The people that started it were not too far from me (and above) and my guess is that they had any idea of what was going on except that there was a break in the action. Stupid? Yes. Malicious? No. With that said, I'm not excusing it and hope it never happens again.