Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Busted Computer

So my computer was busted for a few days, and while I've spoken with many on the phone about it, I thought I'd post some pictures and tell about it here.

First of all, my computer is 5 1/2 years old, and I use it about 12 hours a day 6 days a week. It gets opened and closed a lot, and its held up remarkably well. I try to take good care of it, and it still does everything I need. Would it be nice to have a new quad processor or something? Of course, but I'm pretty happy with my machine.

So on the 2nd day of the semester, I come home, open up my computer, and the monitor falls all the way back - busted. Being an Engineer, and the fact that I need it, I take the thing apart - it turns out the socket the hinges plugs into had worn out. So I tried cramping it and super-gluing it. No dice. Then I tried epoxy overnight - again nothing.
The next day I worked from home, with my laptop leaning against the wall, and my buddy Jim suggested I order something off E-bay. I found someone selling my exact monitor for a decent price, ordered it, got it 3 days later, installed it, and now I'm back in business.

During this whole experience, my apartment looked like a lab - here's a pic:
Frankly, it's a little scary how comfortable I've gotten opening and working on my laptop...

No comments: