Saturday, August 09, 2008

Greenville, TX

So I finished up my summer at L-3 Greenville. I'm guess I'm ready to head back to Lubbock, since I'm doing so on Monday. But I couldn't leave without a small tour of Greenville.

First of all, its not pronounced 'Greenville', its pronounced 'Green-vul.' It helps if you add a pinch of hick and a pinch of twang to it.

This definitely is a nice addition to my list of crappy towns. What makes it crappy? Primarily that they don't take care of the place. It just looks like a dump. Poor traffic patterns certainly adds to the crappiness. But here's a few interesting things about the town.

1) They once upon a time had a decent baseball team that beat the Yankees.









But of course they didn't take care of it and now its a parking lot for electrical transformers. Neato.


2) This is downtown. It's pretty dilapidated, but I hear they have a really good costume shop.

3) This is where the 'Modern' crappy shops are. The fast food, the mini-malls, etc. I think it looks like crap because the electrical lines are all above ground. If they were to bury the electrical lines, the property value in Greenville would probably double overnight. It just looks like crap.

Also here's two great shots:
Check out this sweet house... and since when is corn brown?!?

3 comments:

Matt and Kimbre said...

It's seed corn. the kind you harvest to plant at a later date. Corn you eat gets harvested when green. Seen corn has to wait though.

Unknown said...

All the corn in Texas must be seed corn. 'Cause it's all brown!

Anonymous said...

RyRy,
This is Jeanne-Marie. I blog hopped from Amy's to Jim's to yours. I see that you have been interning for L-3. L-3 Communications? My husband works for L-3 Communications in SLC in the "west" office. I looked on their website and sure enough they have a facility in Greenville, Texas. Small world.
Anyway, I am glad you are having a great time traveling all over the place. And, it was just great to see how you are doing.